Della Cava Family Medical Pavilion
Colorado’s most modern mental health care facility
Committed to Our Community’s Mental Health
As our community’s demand for mental health care increases, so does
Boulder Community Health’s commitment to evolving and extending
crucial services. Della Cava Family Medical Pavilion – the newest
addition to our Foothills Medical Campus — helps address the gap
in needed mental health care. It will transform local mental health care
through its innovative services and inspiring design.
The new Della Cava Family Medical Pavilion and adjacent parking structure
with 403 spaces for patient and employee parking is located at
4801 Riverbend Road, Boulder, CO 80301. Please see each section below for more details on each service and its
Services at this Location
The Pavilion is the beautiful new home to these clinics, departments and services:
“We want this new building to serve as a beacon of hope for those
in our community suffering from mental illnesses,” says Grant Besser,
president of the Boulder Community Health Foundation, whose ambitious
fundraising helped to make the facility a reality. “From the beginning,
our vision was to provide state-of-the-art approaches to treatment. Throughout
its interior, the Pavilion incorporates nature and its representations
to help reduce stress and expedite patients’ healing, making this
building unlike any other mental health facility in the region.
Adults experiencing a psychological or emotional crisis can find professional
intervention and support within Boulder’s only adult Inpatient Behavioral
Health program. Patients admitted to our program suffer from disorders
- Major depression
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Our clinical team monitors patients around-the-clock until their symptoms
stabilize and they’ve developed the necessary coping skills for
safely transitioning to the next appropriate level of care.
Physicians at this unit include:
For more information about the BCH Adult Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit,
please call 303-415-8621, fax 303-415-7766 or visit our
mental health service page.
Our new BCH Counseling Center offers an integrative and supportive approach
to mental health. Our Counseling Center offers caring, effective individual
and group counseling for adults suffering from mental health concerns such as:
- Depression and anxiety
- Bipolar disorder
- Relationship challenges
Providers at this center include:
To schedule an appointment at the BCH Counseling Center, please call 303-441-2202.
Learn more on our
mental health services page.
Our new Center for Mind Body Medicine treats patients suffering from debilitating
health problems – chronic back, neck or pelvic pain, migraines and
other hard-to-treat medical conditions – that haven’t responded
to traditional medical therapies. Drawing on neuroscience research, we’ll
empower you with tools to eliminate or significantly reduce the severity
of your symptoms. Our treatment involves teaching you how to change your
brain’s response to long-stored memories in neural pathways.
Physician at this Center:
To schedule an appointment at the Center for Mind Body Medicine, please
call 303-415-8615. To learn more, please visit
Our highly trained and experienced neurologists offer patients tremendous
medical expertise combined with a personal commitment to treating each
patient’s emotional concerns as well as their neuromuscular, movement
and seizure disorders. They recognize that careful listening is the cornerstone
of meeting their patients’ needs, and take the time to address each
patient’s questions and concerns.
Our board-certified specialists use the latest evidence-based approaches
to diagnose and treat a wide range of neurological disorders, including:
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Concussion-related disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders such as peripheral neuropathy and muscular dystrophy
- Parkinson’s disease and Essential tremor
- Seizure disorders, including epilepsy
Physicians at this clinic include:
To schedule an appointment at Associated Neurologists, please call 303-415-8800
or to learn more visit our
neurology services page.
Our highly skilled psychiatrists treat adults suffering from complicated
mental illnesses such as treatment-resistant depression, bipolar disorder
and schizophrenia. We conduct exhaustive patient evaluations, which involve:
- Consulting with patients and their families
- Reviewing prior treatment efforts
- Arranging for consultations from other medical disciplines
From this thorough evaluation, we create a treatment plan that may include
psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, alternative therapies and, when indicated,
electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). When indicated, we offer ECT to patients.
Collectively, our psychiatrists have nearly five decades of experience
and have performed more than 60,000 ECT treatments, making them the most
experienced ECT practitioners in the Mountain States region. We also provide
referrals for Ketamine Infusion Therapy and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
Psychiatrists at this Institute include:
To schedule an appointment at the Guerra Fisher Institute, please call
303-440-2456. Learn more about the services offered at this location on our
mental health services page.
Different Levels of Care to Meet Individual Needs
The Pavilion is a remarkable modernization of our mental health services,
featuring different levels of care needed to support patients on their
road to wellness:
- Boulder’s only adult Inpatient Behavioral Health program, incorporating
the latest approaches to treating mental illness
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) performed by the most experienced ECT practitioners
in the Mountain States region
- A Counseling Center that offers caring, effective individual and group
therapy programs for adults
Built on Belief in Nature’s Ability to Calm and Uplift
There’s compelling evidence suggesting a connection to nature can
reduce stress and be an important part of the healing process. So, we’ve
integrated nature into the Pavilion’s design in many ways:
- Windows positioned to frame stunning views of the Boulder Flatirons
- Art installations that capture Boulder’s beauty
- A garden and mindfulness path for fresh air, relaxation and quiet reflection
- Lighting to reinforce the body’s natural circadian rhythms
- Waiting areas, patient rooms and common areas that fill with bright and
- Textures and colors reflecting nature such as wood-grain and copper paneling
Fast Facts About the New Della Cava Family Medical Pavilion
- Della Cava Family Medial Pavilion is part of Boulder Community Health,
one of two remaining independent, not-for-profit health systems in the state.
- There are “rain gardens” around the building and garage designed
to capture rainwater and filter out pollutants, rather than letting them
head into the street and storm drains. This is an example of BCH’s
efforts to clean up our environment.
- This 70,000-square-foot $45 million building and gardens were designed
and planned by Boulder Associates Architects.
- The adjacent parking garage has 403 spaces that will be used by Della Cava
patients and BCH employees. The new parking structure includes a ground-level
- Art installations within the Pavilion were selected to relieve stress,
lift the human spirit, and instill a connection to nature.
- Screens scaling the outside of the garage transpose scenes of cottonwood
trees near the trail along Boulder Creek, reflecting the character of
Boulder and the building’s surroundings.
- The Pavilion and parking garage have state-of-the-art rooftop solar panels.
The 47-kW system will produce about 62,000 kWh of electricity each year
and an annual energy savings of $5,000.
- Heated sidewalks near the drop off area to the Pavilion and entry to the
new parking garage will be a welcomed amenity during winter months. Heating
cables underneath the sidewalks will help keep them clear of snow and ice.