Emergency and Trauma Services
If you think your health or life is at serious risk, call 911
or go to an Emergency Department.
Foothills Hospital provides 24-hour access to medical care for patients
requiring treatment for everything from broken bones to strokes to life-
and limb-threatening injuries. As a Level II Trauma Center, the highest
level in Boulder County, BCH has the sophisticated resources and expertise
readily available to treat seriously injured patients. We work closely
with our local Emergency Medical Services partners to provide the high
quality and prompt care you need close to home.
- BCH was the first Level II Trauma Center in Boulder County, the highest
level available locally.
- We collaborate with local Emergency Medical Services partners to provide
high quality care as quick as possible. If more advanced services are
needed, we can transfer patients to Denver Health’s Level 1 Trauma Center.
- We are nationally certified as a Primary Stroke Center for providing high
quality, specialized care and better outcomes for stroke patients.
- We are the recipent of Healthgrades' top 5-star rating for our treatment
of heart attack.
- We provide the most comprehensive heart treatment in Boulder County. We
are the only facility in Boulder County that performs open heart surgery.
- Our 25-bed Emergency Department is staffed by board-certified emergency
medicine physicians, experienced emergency nurses and trauma technicians.
- We offer 24-hour access to important medical services like an interventional
cardiac catheterization lab, surgery department, imaging and an 18-bed
intensive care unit.
- We are part of a comprehensive 110-bed acute care hospital, so we can care
for emergency patients requiring an inpatient stay.
- We offer state-of-the-art helicopter transport.
When to go to an Emergency Department
In a life- or limb-threatening situation, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest
This includes problems such as:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Heavy or uncontrolled bleeding
- Major burns or broken bones
- Spinal or head injuries
- Stroke symptoms
The Emergency Department at Foothills Hospital is open 24 hours a day,
every day of the year.
Foothills Hospital 4747 Arapahoe Avenue
Boulder, CO 80303 • 303-415-7000
7 days a week • Open 24 hours
Cost of An Emergency Department Visit
Emergency Department charges are based on the level of emergency care provided
to our patients at either our
Foothills Hospital Emergency Department in Boulder or the
Emergency Department at our Community Medical Center in Lafayette.
The levels, with level 1 representing basic emergency care, reflect the
type of accommodations needed, the personnel resources, the intensity
of care and the amount of time needed to provide treatment. The following
charges do not include fees for drugs, appliances, supplies or additional
ancillary procedures that may be required for a particular emergency treatment.
They also do not include fees for Emergency Department physicians, who
will bill separately for their services.
Our price estimate rates reflect the amount a patient might pay if they take advantage of our Boulder
Community Health prompt-pay self-pay discount.