Dr. Brenda Price, Boulder Women's Care
Boulder Women’s Care, our philosophy has always been to support our laboring moms in their
ideal birth experience – and to avoid medical interventions unless
they’re needed. That is why our ob-gyns, midwives and anesthesiologists
are applauding a new recommendation from the American College of Obstetricians
and Gynecologists (ACOG).
opinion, issued by the professional association of ob-gyn physicians, essentially
says: Unless there's a problem, let labor progress according to mom’s
Many common obstetric practices are of “limited or uncertain benefit
for low-risk women in spontaneous labor,” the statement says, citing
long-standard procedures such as:
- Breaking the amniotic sac to help induce labor
- Continuous monitoring that impedes beneficial movement by mom during labor
- Offering limited pain-relief options (pain medications or epidural only)
- Encouraging active pushing immediately after complete dilation
With over 20 years’ experience and more than 9,000 births, our physicians
and midwives could not agree more with these new official recommendations,
which fall perfectly in line with routine procedures at Boulder Community
Family Birth Center at Foothills Hospital, where we deliver babies.
Our progressive labor and delivery care
At BWC, all our ob-gyns and midwives are fully supportive of mom’s
wishes and birth plan, whether that’s non-medicated labor, TOLAC
(trial of labor after Cesarean section), or laboring with an epidural.
We know that when mom is supported, comfortable and empowered, she will
work wonders. Our doctors are there to provide medical expertise or minimal
interventions as needed.
The Family Birth Center’s caring team of specialized nurses, lactation
consultants and pediatric providers are the best in our area. Here’s
what moms can expect:
- Nurses who are supportive of non-medicated labor and experienced in Hypnobirthing
and the Bradley Method
Nitrous oxide during labor — a safe pain-relief option that moms control themselves
- Gorgeous Flatirons views from our family-friendly rooms
- Soothing aromatherapy treatments – clinically proven to relieve stress
- Private Jacuzzi tubs and showers in birthing rooms
- Birth balls, squatting bars—and expert support to help you to try
various pushing positions
- A warm welcome for doulas and other patient-chosen support people
- Telemetry monitoring so you are free to move around during labor
- Delayed umbilical cord clamping to facilitate the transfer of oxygen-rich
blood from mom, which may favorably affect baby's development
- Skin-to-skin time with baby immediately after birth
Learn more about BWC’s ob-gyns and midwives.
View a photo gallery of the Family Birth Center.
Schedule a tour of the Family Birth Center.