Boulder Community Health's Post Mastectomy Program helps breast cancer patients successfully complete their recovery after surgery and resume their former work and recreational activities.
Working with skilled therapists, patients can increase movement in and use of their arms and shoulders and prevent further development of scar tissue or adhesions. Most importantly, the therapy helps to decrease pain and stiffness.
Advantages of the Program
- Patients exercise in a warm water therapy pool, where the buoyancy and warm water make exercise movements easier and speed recovery
- Extensive education is provided, covering physical care and medical precautions
- Patients learn exercises to increase mobility and strength
- All services, except pool therapy, are provided one-on-one; former participants report that their self esteem and emotional outlook improved as a result of the support and education received from the program
Who Is Eligible?
Any woman who has undergone a mastectomy, lumpectomy or reconstructive procedures is eligible for the Post Mastectomy Program.
Therapy can begin as soon as sutures are removed, and progress is faster and more complete if the patient begins therapy within the first six weeks after surgery. All incisions or drain wounds need to be closed for pool classes. If a patient is undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy, her treatment can be modified as necessary.
How Long Is the Program?
- Post lumpectomy patients average 2-3 visits
- Mastectomy patients with immediate reconstruction average 3-6 visits
- Mastectomy patients with TRAM flap average 8-12 visits
How to Apply
A physician referral is required. Have your doctor call 303-441-0493, or fax 303-441-0536.
Services are covered by most insurance plans.
The Post Mastectomy Program is located at BCH's Mapleton Center, 311 Mapleton Ave, in northwest Boulder. Click here for directions
Return to Top